Friday, May 1, 2009

Bitty Mclean - Movin' On Review


Someone handed me a copy of this the other day and although not what I would normally listen to I thought it was worth a few words.
Now I encountered Bitty first many years ago when UB40 produced his first single 'It Keeps Raining' and during all that time he hasn't really moved away from his wining formula. That is the main reason as to why when I saw the title of this LP (Moving On) and read a recent interview where he expressed not wanting to stay in his comfort zone, I thought there might be something new on offer.....but no, it is still the same old blend of soulful, pop, reggae. That said what Mr Mclean does do, he does do well.
This new LP is produced with the help of top reggae maestros Sly & Robbie and as you'd expect from these two the musicianship and production is spot on, and this coupled with Bitty's pure, crisp and clean vocals makes for very easy listening. However, this for me is perhaps where the LP falls down as it is a bit too clean, polished and popy which makes most of the tunes drift off into the back ground and become forgettable. The whole LP is a very 'local' radio friendly collection of new tunes and cover versions. Pick of the covers for me is the non reggae, 80's 2 step, soul of Chaka Kahn's 'You're Welcome, Stop On By', and Stevie Wonders 'Lately', which is performed to Sly & Robbie's theme tune 'Taxi' riddim. Other tunes worth a mention are the rootsy 'Jahovia' which also features Johnny Osbourne, and the up-tempo 'Plead My Cause' is a very nice offering, along with the lovers style of 'Games'.
So all in all for me it's a case of Standing Still rather than 'Moving On'.
If you are a fan of Bitty Mclean's polished reggae style then you will love this, but I can't see him winning any new fans over.


Track list
Games
Got to let go
You're welcome, stop on by
So in love
Lost love
Try a little tenderness
Jahovia (feat. Johnny Osbourne)
Plead my cause
For you I won't cry
The real thing
Come to me
Daddy's home
One of a kind
LatelyAll that I have


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

last week our group held a similar discussion on this topic and you show something we haven't covered yet, appreciate that.

- Laura

Gibsy Rhodes said...

Glad to be of service Laura

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)
--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/ купить фильмы
для сайта springlinejamaica.blogspot.com