Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Smiley Culture Dies In Police Raid

Yesterday (Tuesday 15th March 2011) it was reported by numerous sources that the pioneering British deejay Smiley Culture, real name David Emmanuel, had died during a police raid at his home in Warlingham Surrey, south east England.
According to BBC News he died of a suspected stab wound, though at this present time it is unclear how this injury was sustained and the incident is now under investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Smiley first found fame in 1984 with ‘Police Officer’ which reached number 12 in the UK charts. His other singles included ‘Cockney Translation’ and ‘Schooltime Chronicle’
In an interview with the Guardian last year, he spoke of his time in the music business and his musical legacy.

"Police Officer was a true story – the police used to take my weed," he said. "It was better than being arrested and I made that into a hit. With Cockney Translation, I was a black man talking cockney. I integrated cultures even though I didn't understand it at the time. I was invited to meet the Queen, who said she listened to my records in the palace.
Although I paved the way for people like the Streets and Dizzee Rascal, I left the music business because I wasn't rich."

Smiley was a bubbly personality and great story teller and also one of the first wave of UK talents like Maxi Priest, Tippa Irie and Aswad, to cross over to the mainstream. Some may think his songs a bit corny but they were full of fun and are certainly fondly remembered here at Springline, indeed ‘Police Officer’ is still a firm favorite at the Notting Hill carnival, where it is guaranteed to get the party rockin’!

We pass on our deepest condolences to his family and friends at this tragic time.

No comments: