Monday, February 1, 2010

Irie Up! - The Review

Last month I told you about the release of new reggae magazine Irie Up! Well I put my order in, paid using Paypal and after confirming my delivery address via email; my magazine arrived the next day, so its top marks there. When I first saw the magazine I pleasantly surprised by its look. It’s a bit like a 10” vinyl cover, also it is nice and glossy with a quality feel to it. Inside are 38 well laid out pages filled with interesting features, tit bits of reggae news from around the world and not too many ads. The interviews with Calman Scott and UK sound system King Earthquake were informative and the news on how reggae is spreading around the world was good and as I dare say there won’t be much chance of me visiting some if any of these destinations quite educational.

My only gripe was that the piece on Haile Selassie’s visit to Washington DC was too short and I didn’t really get a feel for the event, but I suppose seeing as it was some 47yrs ago it is hard to gauge the magnitude of his visit.
All in all it is a promising start and only time will tell as to how the magazine will grow and develop (noticed there was no review section) especially when up against the seemingly all conquering power of the internet. The price if you buy direct from their website may prove to be a stumbling block. With a £3.60 (€3.95) cover price and then when you add p&p the total was £5.50 (€5.95) it may prove a bit pricey for some. If however you are fortunate to live in a country where one of the distributers is based, like Dub Vendor in the UK it's available through some shops or if you mailorder through them local post rates apply.
I think that this magazine is going to prove to be a hit and if you’re like me don’t like to be sat in front of a screen all-day, but rather like flicking backwards and forwards jumping from page to page at your own leisure then this could be your salvation. The next issue is not until the first week of March so there is still some time left to grab yourself a copy of this opening edition…..sure to become a collectors piece!

If you have anything that you feel the world of reggae should know about whether ideas for an article or news event then get in touch with them. You can find more information about Irie Up by visiting their website

No comments: