Friday, November 27, 2009

The Specials - Hammersmith Apollo November 2009




After arriving at the train station and finding trains in to Euston had been cancelled, then put back on, then getting to Euston and finding the entrance to the tube closed!! After much darting about and the best part of 30yrs I have finally managed to see The Specials LIVE!!
I caught them at the Hammersmith Apollo on Tuesday 24th November on at the first night of the final leg of their 30th anniversary shenanigans. The crowd were expectant, as you’d imagine and the band did not fail to deliver. From the opening strains of ‘Do The Dog’ to powerhouse finally of ‘Too Much Too Young’, they had us all in the palm of their hand. Of course they came back twice first with the haunting ‘Ghost Town’ then for what else but their take on ‘You’re Wondering Now’ with Terry, a Man U fan, taking a swipe at Liverpool who had just been knocked out of the European Champions League.
All the hits were here along with the majority of the 1st album. Unfortunately as most of you must be aware it was not quite the full original line up, as Jerry for whatever reasons decided not to get back with the band. The new guy on keyboards was however a more than adequate replacement. Brass was not supplied by Rico or Dick, but again you could not see the join, but one thing that did strike me was John's drumming. It just drove the songs on so powerfully and the rimshot drum rolls just tore through you like machine gun fire, I reckon he would be a hard act to replace.
By the end of the night the all seated Apollo was a heaving sweaty mass as people danced on their seats. Comedian Bill Bailey was in the crowd as well and I’m sure he was skankin’ with the rest of us.
So was it worth the wait? You bet! Although the venue could have been better. I paid for standing, thinking I’d be at the front, but oh no standing was right at the back of the balcony behind the seat!! Seats I ask you….The Specials and seats do not mix well.


It just leaves us with what happens now? I for one hope they continue, maybe a bit like Madness used to do come out every Christmas or something, I only know that I hope this is not the first and last time I see them play.
-


-
Don't forget to switch off the flashplayer first! Oh and not the view I got unfortunatley!!

No comments: