Friday, October 2, 2009

Reggae Anthology - Niney The Observer: Roots With Quality

Quick confession to make, when someone mentions the name of Niney to me I automatically think of dub, but this 40 track double CD (released earlier this year on VP records) reminds me that not only was he a producer of quality dub, but also as the title suggests, he helped to create some quality roots as well! Showcased here are just some of his works with of the biggest names in reggae, Big Youth, Dennis Brown, Max Romeo, Gregory Isaacs, Horace Andy, Sugar Minott, and Ken Boothe to name but a few. The 1st disc for me is the stronger of the two if only for disc 2’s inclusion of the rather weak ‘Sweets for my Sweet’ by Jimmy Riely. That said disc 2 does contain possibly my favourite Niney produced track ‘Wolf And Leopards’ by Dennis Brown. Other top picks include Delroy Wilson’s ‘Rascal Man’ 'Rock Away' from Gregory Isaacs, and 'My Baby Is Gone' by Delroy Wilson.
A very nice compilation from one of Jamaica’s top producers who has produced classic tracks across the entire field of reggae, from earth shuddering bass heavy dubs to sweet as candy lovers rock, and of course along the way some fine quality roots!

Tracklisting

Disc One
1. Blood & Fire - Niney
2. Whole Lot Of Fire - Big Youth
3. The Coming Of Jah - Max Romeo
4. Rasta Bandwagon - Lee Perry / Max Romeo
5. Rascal Man (False Rasta) - Delroy Wilson
6. Rasta No Born Yah - Sang Hugh & The Lionaires
7. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner / Clap The Barber - Michael Rose
8. The Way Reason - Delroy Wilson
9. Bring The Couchie Come - The Reggae Crusaders
10. I Need Your Loving - Slim Smith
11. Rock Away - Gregory Isaacs
12. Silverwords - Ken Boothe
13. My Baby Is Gone - Delroy Wilson
14. Here I Come - Dennis Brown
15. Jah Come Here - I Roy
16. Warrior - Johnny Clarke
17. Whip Them Jah - Ranking Trevor
18. Every Natty - Junior Delgado
19. Weeping - Junior Byles
20. Sufferation – Tyrone Taylor


Disc Two

1. Wolf And Leopards / Nosey Joe - Dennis Brown / Bongo Herman
2. Slave Master - The Captives
3. Chant It Down - Freddie McGregor
4. Jah Is My Light - Leroy Smart
5. No More Will I Roam - Dennis Brown
6. Materialist - Horace Andy
7. Moses - Jacob Miller
8. Prophecy Call - Glasford Manning
9. Mutiny - Niney
10. I Jah I - The Jewels
11. Slave Call - The Ethiopians
12. Temptation, Botheration &Tribulation - The Heptones
13. Roots With Quality - Third World
14. Tease My Love - Freddie McGregor
15. Lover's Race - Sugar Minott
16. Mr. Sun - Don Carlos
17. Thank You Mama - Barry Brown
18. Lover's Rock JA Style - Freddie McGregor
19. Sweets For My Sweets - Jimmy Riley
20. Money Friend - Leroy Smart / Baby Wayne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

Gibsy Rhodes said...

Kind of you to say so, hope I can supply more great info in the coming months, thanks for your support.