Thursday, September 3, 2009

Groundation - Here I Am


Groundation are a roots style reggae band hailing from California with a sound very akin in my mind to Pablo Moses, but with subtle soulful, jazzy undertones, and “Here I Am” is their sixth LP.
The production on the album is very crisp and clear, but also very ‘live’. I reckon that if you were fortunate to catch this band in the flesh then what you hear on this will be exactly the same as what you hear at one of their shows, a very competent and full sound.
Opening number “Run the Plan” has a jazzy Hammond fuelled intro which deceives the listener to what is about to come before hitting you with that classic roots reggae vibe. While title track “Here I Am” sways along on a hypnotic riddim, with classy trumpet solo from David Chachere, and sweet vocal performances from female backing duo Kim Powell and Stephanie Wallace, who also step up and take a lead on this tune. In fact the whole LP has a loose (and by loose I mean flowing), laid back and chilled feel to it. Nothing seems forced or contrived about them, here are a group of musicians who know their way around their instruments, and as I say I feel that what you hear with Groundation is what you get, and what I hear I like.


1. Run the Plan
2. Everyone Could Lose
3. So Blind
4. Time Come
5. By All Means
6. Blues Away
7. Not So Simple
8. Here I Am
9. You Can Profit
10. Beating Heart
11. Walk Upright
12. Golan to Galilee

No comments: