Friday, August 1, 2008

Horace Andy - You Are My Angel

Someone mentioned to me the other day that they really liked "Skylarking" (a great LP), but here is a review of it would seem the not so well known, but equally as good 2nd release.


You Are My Angel was Horace’s 2nd album release and we had to wait 4 years for it, but oh what an album... Recorded at King Tubby's Studios, Kingston in 1973, it is filled with fine bass heavy rhythms supplied by the Aggrovators. The opening track "Thank You Lord" is a haunting sounding affair and sets the tone for the rest of the album, with its laid back feel and rollercoaster ride of emotions. "I'm Not A Know It All" and "Don't Break Your Promise" are sung with the feel of old big band classics, and I can almost see Horace standing on stage at the Blackpool Mecca in a tuxedo, with the light bouncing off the glitter ball as people waltz around the dance floor to the amazing sound. The cover of "Dream Lover" may sound a bit cheesy but somehow he manages to pull it off. While his version of the Bill Withers "Ain't No Sunshine" is sung with such emotion as to put poor old Bill to shame. My only gripe with this album, and it's only a small gripe, is that I feel the last 3 songs are in the wrong order. His cover versions of "Riding For A Fall" and "Rain From The Sky" although not bad songs (but sad songs) would have been better placed elsewhere on the album. I think it would have been better to finish the album with the uplifting almost gospel high of "John Saw Them Coming".Overall this is a fine album with its rootsy, lover's rock feel, and nobody sings with quite a hypnotic, echoing charm like Mr Andy.....

Track Listing

1.Thank You Lord.
2.I'll Forgive You.
3.You Are My Angel
4.I'm Not A Know It All
5.Keep On Trying
6.Ain't No Sunshine
7.Can I Change Your Mind
8.Don't Break Your Promise
9.Dream Lover
10.John Saw Them Coming
11.Riding For A Fall
12.Rain From The Skies

Don't forget to check the flashplayer for tracks from the LP

PURE HEAVEN!

No comments: